- You have to follow these steps carefully and copy the terminal commands as it is.
- The process of converting "install macOS Monterey.app" to a bootable "install macOS Monterey.iso" which is very important as VirtualBox and VMWARE can run only run macOS installation from "iso" images only.
- What are the macOS systems that can be converted to iso images using this method : -
- the newer macOS.
- macOS Monterey (Download).
- macOS Big Sur (Download).
- macOS Mojave (Download).
- macOS Catalina (Download).
- macOS High Sierra (Download).
- Follow these steps for converting .app to .iso : -
0- you must copy the downloaded macOS.app installer into your desktop.
1- you have to ensure that you have enough disk space for running the full process.
2- Open terminal. using spotlight search type "terminal" and press enter. then start typing the following terminal commands:
3- Command 1: create a dmg container on the desktop of a size (15 BG) named "Monterey.dmg": -
hdiutil create -o ~/Desktop/Monterey -size 15000m -volname Monterey -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
4- Command 2: mount the Monterey.dmg container into your device: -
hdiutil attach ~/Desktop/Monterey.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/Monterey
5- Command 3: Create a bootable macOS Monterey installer into the created dmg container (N.B. You must have install macOS Monterey.app into your desktop as described before in step 2): -
sudo ~/Desktop/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Monterey --nointeraction
6- Command 4: detach the created bootable dmg container: -
hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Monterey
7- Command 5: Convert dmg to cdr container: -
hdiutil convert ~/Desktop/Monterey.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/Monterey.cdr
8- Command 6: convert cdr to the bootable iso image: -
mv ~/Desktop/Monterey.cdr ~/Desktop/Monterey.iso
NOW, you have created a bootable Monterey.iso image that can be used with VirtualBox and other virtual machines.
Tutorials on how to run macOS perfectly on virtual machines